Why the big red juicy, green-rind globe? It isn't just about spitting pits and nature's version of a slushy. It turns out this 'vegetable' curbs both thirst and inflammation (asthma, diabetes, arthritis and more. It packs fiber, antioxidants, vitamins A and C, and potassium into a fat-free, cholesterol-free snack.
You might think if you've tasted one, you've tasted them all. But in fact there are over 1200 varieties grown across 96 countries—making this veritable vegetable one worth pursuing.
Since everyone’s favorite veggie is in season and ripe for the picking - we assembled a list of easy, elegant appetizers, sure to wow your guests. Want heirloom varieties? They are frequently listed for sale by farmers, where you can buy direct & local from your very own watermelon farmer. I kid you not. (Follow Edible Acres - Farmer Art delivers heirloom melons in WA state).
5 Watermelon Appetizers:
- Watermelon and Goat Cheese Bites - as adorable as they are delicious, the bite-sized hors d'oeuvre will get any mouth watering.
- Watermelon Balsamic Appetizer - three ingredients & three steps. A win-win-win by our standards.
- Shrimp Pico de Gallo - this is you, taking it up a notch. It'll be worth the effort.
- Watermelon Lemonade - lemonade never had it so good.
- Avocado Watermelon Bites - easy to prep, even easier to eat.
Do you have a quick-fix watermelon appetizer?